It gives me great pleasure to introduce myself as the new DKICP Interim Dean. This college has a strong and impressive history of professional accomplishments. It has been recognized for contributions in the areas of clinical education, faculty and student research, community engagement, experiential education, student engagement, alumni engagement, and clinical education partnerships.
I honored to be a part of this thriving academic community and look forward to all the college will accomplish during this academic year and beyond. Our college’s faculty, staff and students fully embrace the University’s mission that “our kuleana (responsibility) is to improve the quality of life of the people of Hawaiʻi, the Pacific region and the world.”
After gathering initial input from administration, faculty, staff, students and other stakeholders, several top priorities have surfaced for my work in the year ahead:
- Ensure the college’s curriculum is of the highest quality, contemporary and innovative
- Increase student enrollment
- Enhance the spirit of community at the college
- Empower faculty, staff and students to function at the top level of their knowledge, skills and abilities
- Expand research, community collaboration and clinical services
- Enhance development and advancement activities
In the next few months, I will be personally meeting with many of you, either collectively or individually, to gather additional insights into what we do well and how we can strengthen our academic program and partnerships. I look forward to seeing you in our hallways, offices, around campus, and in the community.
Miriam A. Mobley Smith