To Educate Pharmacy Practitioners and Leaders, To Serve as a Catalyst for Innovations and Discoveries in Pharmaceutical Science and Practice for the Promotion of Health and Wellbeing, and To Deliver Quality Patient Care
The Vision of the Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy (DKICP) at the University of Hawaii at Hilo is to drive Improvement of Healthcare in Hawaii and throughout the Pacific.
We will achieve this vision by focusing on Hawaii’s unique cultural, physical, and geographic features, by employing world-class faculty, and by graduating exceptional professionals.
As we chart our course, we are committed to:
- Preserving the strengths of our foundation
- Demonstrating a positive impact
- Ensuring financial viability that enables us to support UH Hilo’s mission
- Living the values of the University of Hawaii System
- Engaging and giving back to our community
- Embracing unique opportunities
UH Hilo - DKICP mission is predicated on four over-arching goals:
- Implement academic curricula that lead to a flagship Pharm.D. program, which produces graduates committed to serving people via science-based practice.
- Accountability to the Institute of Medicine’s core competencies for the health professional workforce.
- Conduct research that advances pharmaceutical sciences and makes a difference for humanity inclusive of effects on global health.
- Cultivate culturally competent, intellectually inquisitive, self-directed, caring pharmacists, who are critical thinkers, problem solvers and life-long learners in a changing healthcare environment.
A values framework underpins the DKICP mission and vision in its commitment to building a culture of quality and excellence in pharmacy practice and pharmaceutical sciences via enactment of five values:
- Ethics underlies responsibility and accountability to standards in ensuring safe, quality, healthy environments for education, conducting research, providing pharmaceutical healthcare services, and sustaining livelihood. The DKICP thrives upon ethical decision-making and morality.
- Community is cultivated through spaces of collaborations and places of meaning, respect, openness, freedom and creativity. The DKICP is rooted in humanism.
- Diversity among people, cultures, theories, practices, institutions permeate 2lst century health care. The DKICP embraces and celebrates diversity, with a niche in cultural diversity.
- Scholarship is the passion and outcomes of academic and professional life. The DKICP’s quest for quality and excellence affirms scholarly pursuits.
- Life-long learning is the pathway to stimulating pharmacy practice on a continuum of development and advancing pharmacy as a science and profession. The DKICP is nurtured via the continuum of lifelong education.