Susan Jarvi is currently head of the Hawaii Island Rat Lungworm Working Group and continues her work on research and education on Rat Lungworm Disease. She also continues to work on avian malaria and avian poxvirus.
Office: Interim Facility C (COP-C), Room 111
Office Phone: (808) 932-7701
Fax Phone: (808) 932-8117
- Isolation of the 31kDa protein from Angiostrongylus cantonensis from Hawaii and comparative diagnostic efficacy with the Thailand 31 kDa A. cantonensis protein. Hawaii Community Foundation Medical Research. $50,000
- Introducing integrated pest management strategies to Hawaii School Garden Projects to advance rat lungworm disease education and control invasive mollusks, carriers of rat lungworm parasites. Hawaii Invasive Species Council. $65,634.
- Jarvi SI, Howe K, Macomber P. 2018. Angiostrongyliasis or Rat Lungworm Disease: A Perspective from Hawai`i. Journal: Current Tropical Medicine Reports. DOI: 10.1007/s40475-018-0132-z
- Howe K, and Jarvi SI. 2017. Angiostrongyliasis (Rat Lungworm Disease): Viewpoints from Hawaii Island. ACS Chemical Neuroscience. DOI: 10.1021/acschemneuro.7b00299. Jarvi SI, Bianchi KR, Farias MEM, Txakeeyang A, McFarland T, Belcaid M, & Asano A. 2016. Characterization of class II β chain major histocompatibility complex genes in a family of Hawaiian honeycreepers: ‘amakihi (Hemignathus virens). Immunogenetics DOI 10.1007/s00251-016-0908-z
- Jarvi, S.I., Pitt WC, Farias MEM, Shiels L, Severino M, Howe K, Jacquier S, Shiels AB, Amano K, Luiz B, Maher D, Allison M, Holtquist Z, Scheibelhut N. 2015. Detection of Angiostrongylus cantonensis in the blood and peripheral tissues of wild Hawaiian rats (Rattus rattus) by a quantitative PCR (qPCR) assay. PLOS ONE DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0123064 April 24, 2015
- Atkinson, C. T., Saili, K. S., Utzurrum, R.B., and S. I. Jarvi. Experimental Evidence for Evolved Tolerance to Avian Malaria 3 in a Wild Population of Low Elevation Hawai‘i ‘Amakihi 4 (Hemignathus virens). Ecohealth. EcoHealth (2014) 10:366-375 DOI 10.1007/s10393-013-0899-2
- S. I . Jarvi, U. K. Herold, M. E. Farias, and C. T. Atkinson. 2013 Cryptic mtDNA diversity of Plasmodium relictum in the Hawaiian Islands. Parasitology 3 Dec;140(14):1741-50 doi:10.1017/S0031182013000905 [2.852]
- Hollingsworth, R.G., Howe, K. & Jarvi, S.I. 2013. Control measures for slug and snail hosts of Angiostrongylus cantonensis, with special reference to the semi-slug Parmarion martensi. Hawaii Journal of Medicine and Public Health. June 2013, Volume 72, No. 6, Supplement 2, ISSN 2165-8218 p 75-80
- Jarvi S.I., Farias, M.E.M., Howe, K., Jacquier, S., Hollingsworth, R. & Pitt, W. 2012. Quantitative PCR estimates Angiostrongylus cantonensis infection levels in semi-slugs (Parmarion martensi). Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology 185: 174-176. [2.859]
- Farias, M.E.M. C.T. Atkinson, and S.I. Jarvi. 2012 Distribution of trap alleles of Plasmodium relictum in infected hatch-year `amakihi (Hemignathus virens) on the east side of Hawaii Island. Malaria Journal, 11:305 http://www.malariajournal.com/content/11/1/305 [3.4]
- Jarvi S.I., D. Hu, K. Misajon, B.A. Coller, T. Wong, M. Lieberman 2013.Vaccination of captive Nene against West Nile Virus using a protein-based vaccine (WN-80E). J of Wildlife Diseases, 49(1) DOI 10.7569/2011-12-363. [1.415]
- Atkinson, C.T., K.C. Wiegand, D. Triglia, and S.I. Jarvi. 2012. Reversion to virulence and efficacy of an attenuated canarypox vaccine in Hawai`i `amakihi (Hemignathus virens). J of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 43(4):807-818 DOI.
- Atkinson, C.T., K.C. Wiegand, D. Triglia, and S.I. Jarvi. 2011. Efficacy of a commercial canarypox vaccine for protecting Hawai`i `amakihi from field isolates of Avipoxvirus. Hawai`i Cooperative Studies Unit Technical Report HCSU-019. University of Hawai`i at Hilo. http://hilo.hawaii.edu/hcsu/documents/TRHCSU-019Atkinson_Avian_Pox.pdf
- Farias, MEM . DA LaPointe, CT Atkinson, C Czerwonka, R Shrestha, SI. Jarvi. (2010) Taqman Real-Time PCR detects Avipoxvirus DNA in blood of Hawaii `amakihi (Hemignathus virens). PLoS ONE 5(5): e10745. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0010745 [4.351]
- Farias, M.E.M., and Jarvi ,S.I., (2009) A nucleotide-constrained single base extension method for improved detection of minority alleles in Plasmodium. Molecular & Biochemical Parasitology 163:114-118.[2.873]
- Jarvi ,S.I., Farias M.E.M. and Atkinson CT. (2008) Genetic characterization of Hawaiian isolates of Plasmodium relictum reveals mixed-genotype infections. Biology Direct 3:25. [3.32]
- Jarvi, S.I.,Triglia, D., Giannoulis, A., Farias, M.E.M., Bianchi, K., & Atkinson, C.T. (2008) Diversity, origins and virulence of Avipoxviruses in Hawaiian Forest Birds. Conservation Genetics, 9, 339-348. [1.849]
- Jarvi ,S.I., Lieberman, M.M., Hofmeister, E., Nerkurkar, V.R., Wong, T., & Weeks-Levy, C. (2008) Protective efficacy of a recombinant subunit West Nile virus vaccine in Domestic geese (Anser anser). Vaccine Oct 26, 42. 5338-44.[3.508]