Rat Lungworm Media
On this page:
Comparing Infection Islands-Wide
Lisaʻs Brown Bag Hawaii Invasive Species Council (HISC) Lunch RLW talk: Rat lungworm on Hawaiʻi and Kauai Infection levels, infection based on zip codes
Jarvi Lab, March 2019
Taking the Jarvi Lab into your classroom. This is a series of short videos showing the procedure at for detecting the rat lungworm in snails and slugs and diagnose for rat lungworm disease. Discussed are DNA extraction, polymerese chain reaction (PCR), real time (q)PCR, and how to test different anti-parasitic drugs using an assay.
Hawaii Farm to School Hui-May 7, 2019
Webinar: Curricular Resources for Rat Lungworm Disease Education and Prevention. Presented by Kay Howe and Lydi Bernal.
Hawaii Environmental Education Alliance-July 2018
Kay Howe presents on the RLWD curriculum and education efforts. Collaboration of the Hawaiʻi Farm to School Hui, Iʻolani School, the Oahu School Garden Network, and the UHH Jarvi Lab.
Oahu Teacher RLWD Prevention Workshop-July 2018
Kay Howe presents the RLWD prevention curriculum developed at the Jarvi Lab to educators at a day-long workshop on O‘ahu. Organized and supported by UH Hilo Jarvi Lab, Hawai‘i Dept. of Health, ‘Iolani School, the O‘ahu Farm to School Network, and the Hawai‘i Farm to School Hui.
RLW Disease and Animals-May 2018
“The Mystery of Rat Lungworm Disease. An activity book developed in collaboration with Grade 2 teachers from Hawaiʻi Island. Provides basic information on disease prevention in an engaging way. Download the activity book (PDF)
Lesson Plans for Teachers. These research-based lesson plans and Powerpoints were developed to engage teachers and students as citizen scientists and partners to reduce rat lungworm disease in Hawaiʻi. View lesson plans.
ArcGIS Story Map: Hawaiʻi Island School Garden Project Takes on Rat Lungworm Disease with Integrated Pest Management
Jarvi Lab-June 2017
Interview with Kay Howe of the Jarvi Lab at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy by Nā Leo TV host John Keoni Fujitani. Covers life cycle, prevention, and slug/snail control.
Rat Lungworm Disease, Survivors’ Stories
A 54-minute documentary video of RLWD victims, Mark Kimura videographer.
Three stories from those who have survived RLWD. This film was produced by a family member of one of the victims and was done as their thesis project.
Beyond the Fear: a Documentary about RLWD produced by Mariful Films:
KHON2 News-April 3, 2017
State investigates rat lungworm cases; Maui victim describes pain worse than childbirth
Maui Now-April 17, 2017
Maui Woman with Rat Lungworm Wants to Spread Awareness, Not Fear.
The Jarvi Lab presents RLWD Prevention, how to wash your veggies, Mark Kimura videographer.
Big Island Video News-April 2015
Hawaii Public Radio-January 2016
PBS Insights-June 2017
Rat Lungworm: What You Need to Know. What You Need to Do. Interview with Dr. Virginia Pressler (Hawaii Dept. of Health), Dr. Jon Martel (Hilo Medical Center), Dr. Susan Jarvi (UHH, Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy), Laura Travis (RLWD survivor).
The Ruderman Roundtable-November 2, 2017
Senator Russell Ruderman discusses rat lungworm disease and its threat to Hawaiʻi and beyond with Dr. Susan Jarvi.
Hawaiʻi State Legislature Regarding RLWD
Big land Video News-February 22, 2017
- Briefing at the Hawaii State Capitol with Dr. Susan Jarvi.
- Researchers Give Rat Lungworm Disease Update
Big Island Video News, March 2017
Dr. Susan Jarvi and Kay Howe talk on rat lungworm vigilance in school gardens.
Hawaiʻi Public Radio-December 26, 2017
Hawaiʻi Public Radio-August 2, 2017
Hawaiʻi State Capitol-February 5th, 2016
Kay Howe presenting testimony on Senate Bill 2516 Relating to Rat Lungworm Disease to the joint hearing of Senate Committees on Water, Land, and Agriculture and Consumer Protection and Health at the Hawaiʻi State Capitol.
Disease and Treatment
- Hawaii Public Radio. Nov. 23, 2017, Dr. Jon Martel and Dr. Susan Jarvi discuss treatment of RLWD and progress of diagnostic tests for Hawaii.
Selected News Release articles
- Honolulu Civil Beat – April 2021, How A Slug In A Salad Led One Patient On A Confusing Quest For Rat Lungworm Treatment
- Hawaii New Now – March 2021, Dog dies of rat lungworm disease
- Hawaii New Now – February 2021, After alarming symptoms, a Big Island teen is diagnosed with rat lungworm disease
- New York Times - July 2019, In Hawaii, rat lungworm disease infects people but eludes researchers
- Food Safety News - January 2018, January ʻFree’ trip leaves man in expensive, lifelong, parasitic nightmare
- Hawaii Tribune Herald - January 2018, Hawaii rat lungworm cases differ from others around the globe
- National Geographic - March 2018, Why you shouldnʻt eat a slug (in case you need a reason)
- Big Island Video News - July 2017, Researchers Give Rat Lungworm Disease Update
- The New Yorker - June 2017, Rat Lungworm, the Tropical Parasite That Took Hawaii by Surprise
- Hawaii News Now - April 2017, UH researchers plead for funding to combat rat lungworm disease
- U.S. News - April 2017, Hawaii Rat Lungworm Strikes Newlyweds
- San Francisco Chronicle - April 2017, Hawaii accused of downplaying parasite that struck SF couple
- AP News - December 2017, Hawaii Launches Campaign to prevent spread of rat lungworm disease
- Big Island Video News - February 2013, Activity book teaches children about Rat Lungworm Disease
- UH Hilo Press Release - February 2013, UH Hilo Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy (CoP) helps teach elementary children about rat lungworm disease
- Huffington Post - October 2013, Government Shutdown Halts Scientific Research Projects Across The Country
- UH Hilo Press Release - November 2011, Scientific panel to discuss rat lungworm disease