Leng Chee Chang, Ph.D., M.S.
Office: Rainbow Drive Annex
Office Phone: (808) 933-2951
Fax Phone: (808) 933-2974
- B.S., Chemistry - University of Malaysia Sabah, Malaysia
- M.S. - University of Malaysia Sabah, Malaysia
- Ph.D., Natural Products Chemistry - College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society (1995)
- Van Doren Scholar Award, 45th Annual Honors Convocation, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois (1997)
- Kilmer Prize, 39th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Pharmacognosy, Orlando, Florida (1998)
- D. John Faulkner Travel Award, 47th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Pharmacognosy, Arlington, Virginia (2006)
- Faculty Travel Award, Office of Research, University of Hawaii Hilo (2008, 2010, 2014)
- Elected as Recipients of Teacher of the Year (TOY) Award for Pharmaceutical Sciences, COP, UHH (2011, 2013)
- Member of Rho Chi Honor Society (2013)
- Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities Award (University of Hawaii at Hilo) (2017)
- Hawaii Community Foundation Medical Research Program (6/2017 - 9/2018): Evaluation of Natural Products from Uhaloa in the Treatment of Infectious Diseases
- USDA (9/2015-8/31/2020) Phytochemical evaluation of tropical plants for bioactive compounds
- Youn UJ, Sripisut T, Miklossy G, Turkson J, Laphookhieo, S, Chang LC. (2017) Bioactive Polyprenylated Benzophenones from the fruits extracts of Garcinia xanthochymus. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett 27, 3760-3765
- Thomas K, Zhang M, Reinicke J, Parker J, Ohora D, Wall MW, Songsak T, Wongwiwatthananukit S, Chang LC. (2017) Protein kinase inhibitory properties of extracts derived from Bocconia frutescens and Gomphocarpus physocarpus. Bulletin of Health Science and Technology. 15, 47-58
- Chang LC, Sang-ngern M, Pezzuto JP. (2016) Poha Berry (Physalis peruviana) with Potential Anti-inflammatory and Cancer Prevention Activities. Hawaii Journal of Medicine and Public Health. 75:11, 353-359
- Park EJ, Sang-ngern M, Chang LC, Pezzuto JM. (2016) Induction of cell cycle arrest and apoptosis with downregulation of Hsp90 client proteins and histone modification by 4-beta-hydroxywithanolide E isolated from Physalis peruviana. Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 1-19.
- Novel Sesquiterpenoid Stat3 Inhibitors. Chang LC, Turkson J, Wongwiwatthananukit S, Youn UJ and Sun Dq. United States Patent (PCT/US14/043523), Dec/24/2014
- Provisional Patent Application (UH-01035-002). Withanolides with Anti-inflammatory and Anticancer Activity. Chang LC, Turkson J, Pezzuto J, Sang-ngern M, and Park EJ. Nov/2015.
Courses currently teaching