Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Susan Jarvi, Ph.D.
Susan I. Jarvi studies host-parasite and parasite-parasite interactions and influences on transmission and virulence of infectious disease in the Hawaiian honeycreeper/malaria (Plasmodium relictum)/Avipoxvirus model. Jarvi is also studying resistance and /or tolerance to malaria and Avipoxvirus in native Hawaiian bird populations. Jarvi’s lab is home to the ‘Hawaii Island Rat Lungworm Working Group’. Since 2011, they have been conducting education outreach about rat lungworm disease (angiostrongyliasis) by developing and distributing materials to the general public, and level-appropriate curricula for public schools. The Jarvi lab is conducting multiple research studies to better understand disease transmission, develop better diagnostic tests, and ways to reduce risk of contracting angiostrongyliasis.
- M.S., Veterinary and Animal Sciences (Genetics), University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Ph.D., Biology, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb
- Postdoctoral Fellow at the Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope National Medical Center Duarte, CA, and at the Molecular Genetics laboratory of the Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC.
Classes and Courses
- PHPS 504 Pharmaceutical Immunology
Selected Presentations and/or Publications
- ACS Chemical Neuroscience Aug 2017. DOI: 10.1021/acschemneuro.7b00299.
- Immunogenetics 2016. 68:6–7:461–475.DOI:10.1007/s00251-016-0908-z.
- PLOS ONE April 24, 2015. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0123064.
- EcoHealth 2014. 10:366-375 DOI 10.1007/s10393-013-0899-2.
- Hawaii Journal of Medicine and Public Health June 2013. 72: 6:S2,:75-80. ISSN 2165-8218.
- Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology 2012. 185: 174-176.
Selected News Releases
- 2017 August State announces launch of rat lungworm public health campaign
- 2017 July Researchers Give Rat Lungworm Disease Update
Big Island Video News
- 2017 June Rat Lungworm, the Tropical Parasite That Took Hawaii by Surprise
The New Yorker
- 2017 May Rat Lungworm: What You Need to Know. What You Need to Do.
- 2017 April UH researchers plead for funding to combat rat lungworm disease
Hawaii News Now
- 2017 April Should Hawaii Have Gotten Serious About Rat Lungworm Sooner?
Honolulu Civil Beat
- 2017 April Hawaii Rat Lungworm Strikes Newlyweds
- 2017 April Hawaii accused of downplaying parasite that struck SF couple
San Francisco Chronicle
- 2016 Feb Rat Lungworm Disease Briefing At The Capitol
Big Island Video News
- Hawaii Community Foundation - Medical Research
Awards and Honors
- 2014-2015 Excellence in Scholarly Creative Activities Award, University of Hawaii at Hilo
- 1988 Outstanding Graduate Student, Northern Illinois University
- 1982 Excellence in Student Teaching