Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Abhijit Date, M.Pharm., Ph.D.
The Date Lab is interested in working at the interface of drug delivery, bioconjugate chemistry, and biology to develop nanomedicines for the prevention and/or treatment of cancer, infectious diseases, and inflammatory disorders. We are also interested in developing novel nanomaterials that contain natural products as a building block. The current projects of our interest are 1) development of nanomedicines for improved prevention of sexually transmitted viral infections, 2) development of platinum-based nanostructures for cancer therapy, 3) development of nanomedicines for improved local treatment of early-stage bladder cancer, 4) novel delivery systems for natural polyphenols and neutraceuticals.
- B. Pharm., Institute of Chemical Technology, University of Mumbai
- M. Pharm., Bombay College of Pharmacy, University of Mumbai
- Ph.D. (Tech), Bombay College of Pharmacy, University of Mumbai
- Postdoctoral Fellow in the Chemistry of Life Processes Institute, Northwestern University, Creighton University School of Pharmacy and Health Professions and the Center for Nanomedicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Classes and Courses
- PHPS 505 (Pharmaceutics I)
- PHPS 506 (Pharmaceutics II)
- PHPP 550 (History of Pharmacy)
- Kates M., Date A.A.§, Yoshida T., Kanvinde P., Afzal U., Babu T., Sopko N.A., Matsui H., Hahn N.M., McConkey D., Baras A., Hanes J., Ensign L.M., Bivalacqua T., Preclincial evaluation of intravesical cisplatin nanoformulations for non–muscle-invasive bladder cancer. Clin. Cancer Res., 2017, 23: 6592-6601 (§ co-first author).
- Date A.A., Rais R., Babu T., Ortiz J., Kanvinde P., Thomas A.G., Zimmermann S.C., Gadiano A.J., Halpert G., Slusher B., Ensign L.M. Local enema treatment to inhibit FOLH1/GCPII as a novel therapy for inflammatory bowel disease. J. Control. Rel., 2017, 263: 132-138.
- Date A.A., Shibata A., McMullen E., La Bruzzo K., Bruck P., Belshan M., Zhou Y., Destache C.J., Thermosensitive gel containing cellulose acetate phthalate-efavirenz combination nanoparticles for prevention of HIV-1 infection. J. Biomed. Nanotechnol. 2015, 11: 416-427.
- Kovarova M., Council O.D., Date A.A., Julie M Long J.M., Nochii T., Belshan M., Shibata A., Vincent H., Baker C.E., Thayer W.O., Kraus G., Lachaud-Durand S., Williams P., Destache C.J., Garcia J.V., Nanoformulations of rilpivirine for topical pericoital and systemic coitus-independent administration efficiently prevent HIV transmission. PLOS Pathogens 2015, 11: e1005075
- Date A.A., Destache C.J., A review of nanotechnological approaches for the prophylaxis of HIV/AIDS. Biomaterials, 2013, 34: 6202-6228.)
- Date A.A., Shibata A., Goede M., Sanford B., La Bruzzo K., Belshan M., Destache C.J., Development and evaluation of a thermosensitive vaginal gel containing raltegravir + efavirenz loaded nanoparticles for HIV prophylaxis. Antiviral Res., 2012, 96: 830-836.
- Date A.A., Nagarsenker M.S., Srivastava D., Mulherkar R., Gude R.P., Hassan P.A., Aswal V.K., Steiniger F., Thamm J., Fahr A., Lecithin based novel cationic nanocarriers (LeciPlex) I: Fabrication, characterization and evaluation. Nanomedicine (Lond.), 2011, 6: 1309-1325.
- Date A.A., Nagarsenker M.S., Patere S., Dhawan V., Gude R.P., Hassan P.A., Aswal V.K., Steiniger F., Thamm J., Fahr A., Lecithin based novel cationic nanocarriers (LeciPlex) II:Improving therapeutic efficacy of quercetin on oral administration. Mol. Pharm., 2011, 8: 716-726.
- Date A.A., Vador N., Jagtap A., Nagarsenker M.S., Lipid nanocarriers (GeluPearl) containing amphiphilic lipid Gelucire 50/13 as a novel stabilizer: Fabrication, characterization and in vivo evaluation. Nanotechnology, 2011, 22: 275102.
- Date A.A., Nagarsenker M.S., Design and evaluation of self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems (SNEDDS) for cefpodoxime proxetil. Int. J. Pharm., 2007, 329: 166-172.
- Ola HAWAII Pilot Project Grant, NIMHD
Selected Awards and Honors
- 2016 The Center for Nanomedicine Research Excellence Award
- 2014 George F. Haddix Creighton University President’s Research Grant
- 2012 Guest editor, Journal of Drug Delivery’s special issue on nanotechnology
- 2010 J.N. Tata Endowment Fellowship
- 2008 Young Investigator Travel grant from Department of Science and Technology, Government of India and Gattefosse India Ltd., for presenting research paper at 36th Annual Meeting and Exposition of Controlled Release Society held at Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 2007 Member of the team that represented India at ‘Biotechnology YES’ (Young Entrepreneur Scheme), Oxford, UK
- 2006-2009 Indian Council of Medical Research-Senior Research Fellowship
- 1999-2002 Sir Ratan Tata Scholarship for undergraduate studies