Department of Pharmacy Practice
Supakit Wongwiwatthananukit, Pharm.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Wongwiwatthananukit’s research focuses upon two research themes.
The first theme is “Outcomes and Drug Discovery Research” which includes: (1) development and validation of an instrument to assess humanistic outcomes [e.g., health-related quality of life (QOL), self-efficacy, pharmaceutical therapy-related QOL, life-long learning of pharmacists]; (2) clinical trials and evaluation of the patient-oriented pharmacy interventions in the areas of tobacco cessation, hypercholesterolemia, obesity, diabetes, cancer, self-medication/herbals and dietary supplements; (3) evaluation of natural products and characterization of their metabolomic profiles using multivariate statistics as chemopreventive and therapeutic, tobacco cessation, and antibacterial agents, where promising bioactive natural products might serve as lead compounds for drug design.The second research theme is related to “Pharmaceutical Education”. This involves curriculum and course development and assessment. His interest is to assess the effect of innovative educational methods on the development of students’ self-confidence and life-long learning during pharmacy practice experiences and within didactic instruction; the development and evaluation of multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary education and training programs to foster students learning; and to conduct economic analysis of individual courses and the doctor of pharmacy curriculum to improve the design of course delivery and evaluate the curriculum for the best use of the educational process for students and faculty.
- B.Sc. in Pharmacy (First Class Honors), Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Prince of Songkhla University, Songkhla, Thailand
- Pharm.D. (Summa Cum Laude), College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago
- M.Sc. (Pharmacy Practice), Purdue University
- Ph.D. (Pharmacy Practice), Purdue University
- Certified in Pharmacy Based Immunization Delivery for a Faculty Trainer (American Pharmacists Association)
- Certified in Tobacco Intervention Skills Instructor for Medical and Allied Health Professionals (Hawai’i State Department of Health)
- Registered Pharmacist - States of Hawaii, Illinois, and Thailand
Classes and Courses
- PHPP 503-504: Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences III & IV
- PHPP 508: Introduction to Biostatistics
- PHPP 514: Evidence-Based Medicine and Critical Literature Evaluation
- PHPP 523: Wellness, Prevention and Disease Management
- PHPP 524: Pharmacoeconomics
- PHPP 527: Drug Information
- PHPP 599V: Students Research/Special Project
- PHPP 544/545/546: Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences – Academia
- PHPS 705: Designing Clinical Research
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Ann Pharmacother, 2006, 40:1917-23
- J Health Res, 2009, 23:31-36
- J Health Res, 2009, 23:37-42
- J Health Res, 2009, 23:103-109
- Silpakorn U Science & Tech J, 2009, 3:18-32
- Ann Pharmacother, 2010, 44:415-23
- J Med Assoc Thai, 2010, 93 (suppl. 6):s84-s92
- Bioorg Med Chem, 2012, 22:5559-5562
- Asian Biomed, 2013, 7:227-235
- J Endocrinol Invest, 2013, 36:558-563
- Amer J Pharm Educ, 2013, 77(7): article 153
- Fitoterapia, 2014, 93:194-200
- Curr Pharm Teach and Learning, 2014, 6:507-515.
- Int J Clin Pharm, 2014, 36:771-778
- Bulletin of Health, Sci &Tech, 2014, 12:22-26.
- J Pharma Care Health Sys, 2015, S2: S2-005, 1-7.
- J Med Chem, 2015, 58, 7734-7748.
- Medicine Use –You Must Know, 2010, 2nd edition, ISBN : 978-974-03-2053-1
- Dictionary of Research and Statistics, 2012, 3rd edition, ISBN: 978-974-03-2018-0
Patent, Provisional Patent, and Invention Disclosure
- Invention Disclosure: Tech ID Number 1610-8575
- US Provisional Patent Application: 61/837,613 UH-00950
- WO2014/205416 A1
- Hawaii Community Foundation (HCF)
- Seed Money Grants University of Hawaii at Hilo
- INBRE II: Hawaii Statewide Research & Education Partnership (HSREP) sponsored by NCRR/NIH
- National Institute of Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD), NIH
- USDA Agricultural Research Service (ARS)
Awards and Honors
- Purdue Research Foundation Fellowship Award, Purdue University, 2000
- The Jenkins-Knevel Award for Excellence in Research, 2001
- The Nagai Award for Pharmacy Practice Research, The Nagai Foundation Tokyo, Japan, 2006
- Outstanding Poster Presentation Award for Pharmacy Practice, 27th Annual Research Conference in Pharmaceutical sciences, Bangkok, Thailand, 2010
- Excellence in Teaching Award for Pharmacy Practice, 2010
- Best Paper/Presentation Award for Applied Learning Experiences (ALEX) Research Conference/Symposium, University of Hawai’i Research Conference, 2013
- Excellence in Teaching Award for Pharmacy Practice, 2015