Department of Pharmacy Practice
Carolyn Ma, Pharm.D., BCOP, CHTP
Interim Dean, Associate Professor and Chair
Carolyn Ma received her Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the U. of California at San Francisco and completed a Clinical Pharmacy Residency at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and an Oncology Pharmacy Specialty Residency at The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Ma practiced as a Board Certified Oncology Pharmacist (BCOP) at The Queens Medical Center in Honolulu and went on to work as Vice President for Clinical Program Development for AmMed International in Hong Kong, China. Prior to her moving to the DKICP she was a pharmacy management consultant for various hospitals including Stanford Hospitals and Clinics with expertise in The Joint Commission’s Medication Management Chapter, pharmacy and clinic workflow redesign and organizational development. Dr. Ma joined the UHH DKICP in 2007 as the Clinical Education Coordinator and in 2009 became the Chair for Pharmacy Practice. She is currently in charge of operations, faculty and residents for the DKICP Oahu, Maui and Kauai. Her work with various partners outside of the college include serving on the Boards of the Hawaii State Board of Pharmacy, Hawaii Pharmacists Association and the International Interdisciplinary Advisory and Editorial Board (IIAEB), contributing editor for Hawaii Journal of Medicine and Public Health and reviewer for the American Journal of Pharmacy Education. Her most recent awards include the lifetime pharmacy service award Bowl of Hygeia (2011), DKICP Teaching Excellence (2011), NCPA Leadership Award (2014) and Hawaii Pharmacists Association Leadership Award (2014). Dr. Ma is also a certified practitioner and instructor of Healing Touch, an energy based bioenergy field complementary modality.
Selected Textbooks and Articles
- Ma, C, Goo, R, Tokumaru, S. Chapter: "Career in Pharmacy: Areas and Opportunities". Pharmacy for the Curious, Why Study Pharmacy. Editor: Kishor Vaidya. U. of Canberra, Australia U. of Canberra Press
- Gibbs, Maureen, Ma, Carolyn. Medication Reconciliation Practical Strategies and Tools for JCAHO Compliance. Foreword. HC Pro Inc. Marblehead, MA. 01945, 2005
- Ma, Carolyn, Taoka K. Study Guide for the Core Curriculum for Oncology Nursing Chapter 10, “Symptom Management and Supportive Care: Pharmacologic Interventions” W.B. Saunders and Co. Philadelphia, PA 1999
- Ma, Carolyn, Taoka K. Oncology Nursing Certification Core Curriculum Chapter 10, ”Symptom Management and Supportive Care: Pharmacologic Interventions” Saunders and Co. Philadelphia,. 3rd. Edition. 1999
- Juarez DT1, Ma C, Kumasaka A, Shimada R, Davis J. Failure to reach target glycated a1c levels among patients with diabetes who are adherent to their antidiabetic medication.
- Popul Health Manag. 2014 Aug;17(4):218-23. Doi: 10.1089/pop.2013.0099.
- Ma, C. Role of pharmacists in optimizing the use of anti-cancer drugs in the clinical setting, Journal of Integrated Pharmacy Research and Practice, 2014:3; 11-24. Dove Press
- Ma, CS, Batz, F, Juarez DT, Ladao, LC. Take Back in Hawaii: Partnership Between the University of Hawaii Hilo College of Pharmacy and the Narcotics Enforcement Division, Hawaii Journal of Medicine and Public Health, 2014 January, Vol 73. No. 1, pp 26-31
- Ma, C, Holuby, R.S., Bucci, L, “Physician and Pharmacist Collaboration-The University of Hawaii Hilo College of Pharmacy-JABSOM Experience, Hawaii Med J; 2010 Jun; 69(6 Suppl 3): 42-4. PMID: 20540001
- Ma, Carolyn. "Liposomal Technology, Beauty from the Beast" Pharmatopics, 1998; 18:(3);1-2
- Ma, Carolyn. "Antihypercalcemic Agents: The New Kids on the Block" Pharmatopics 13;2;1-2. 1993
- Ma, Carolyn. " Biotechnology Pipeline" Pharmatopics 12:2;1-2
- Ma, Carolyn. "What does "CSF" Stand For?" Pharmatopics 12:4;1-3
- Ma, Carolyn. "Epidural narcotics" Pharmatopics 10;1-3, 1991
- Ma CSJ, Lin, D. "Patient controlled analgesia: drug options, infusion schedules and other considerations." Hospital Formulary 26;198-206, 1991
- Ma, Carolyn. "Implementing PCA" Drug Utilization Review 1989;5:137-141
- Ma, Carolyn. "Patient Controlled Analgesia - PCA" Pharmatopics 9;1-3,1989
- Ma, Carolyn SJ, Hart LL. "Calcium Channel Blocker Agents in Asthma: Drug Intelligence and Clinical Pharmacy 1986;20:364-365