Mission: The mission of University of Hawaii at Hilo (UHH) the Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy (DKICP) Office of Continuing Education is to be an accredited provider of educational programs consistent with the Institute of Medicine’s core competencies for health professionals and to meet the needs for updating or developing health professionals’ knowledge and skills.
Goals: The CE Office mission is based on the following over-arching goals:
- To strengthen knowledge and skills pertaining to current evidence-based therapies, techniques, and practices via formats that satisfy the needs of health professionals and are cost-effective to administer;
- To facilitate practice change that produces optimal patient outcomes and promotes patient-centered care, collaboration among interdisciplinary teams, continuous quality improvement, and use of information technology;
- To enhance critical thinking and document CE program impact;
- To apply principles of quality management to continuously improve the effectiveness of CE programs;
- To implement administrative procedures and practices which ensure fiscal accountability and ethics in its CE programs;
- To provide CE programs that address cultural diversity whenever appropriate
The content of the CE Programs sponsored by the UHH DKICP may encompass all areas of patient care and related areas but will emphasize pharmacy practice and pharmaceutical sciences. The topics selected for activity development are based on the needs and interests of practitioner participants, the expert opinion of leaders in the field, national or regional guidelines developed by recognized authorities, and/or identified gaps between standards and practice. Needs may be determined through various sources, including but not limited to:
- Feedback from planning committee members, program faculty, and participants
- Surveys and focus groups
- Current consensus guideline development and literature searches relevant to practice
- Quality and performance indicators from healthcare providers
The primary target audiences for the CE Programs sponsored by the UHH DKICP are pharmacists, physicians, and APRN-Rx nurses practicing in clinical settings throughout the United States and the Pacific Basin as well as healthcare professionals serving as experiential preceptors for the UHH DKICP pharmacy practice experiential program. Educational activities may include live presentations, moderated discussions, distance learning, and web-based materials. Expected results include improved knowledge, competence, practice, and patient outcomes.