Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) Program Admissions
The Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy (DKICP) at the University of Hawai’i at Hilo offers a four-year Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program.
DKICP accepts 80-90 students each Fall, of which approximately 50% are residents of Hawaii.
PharmCAS Regular Application Deadline: March 1, 2018
PharmCAS Early Decision Deadline: September 5, 2017
Meeting the minimum qualification requirements does not guarantee admission. All eligible applications are reviewed by the DKICP Admissions Committee which applies multiple criteria to assess applications and select candidates to be interviewed.
To be eligible for consideration, students must complete the following:
- Prerequisite Courses: Students must complete all prerequisite coursework before August 13, 2018. Admission is contingent upon the successful completion of all prerequisite courses with a minimum grade of "C" (C- grades are not accepted). Students may be in the process of completing prerequisite coursework at the time of application.
- International Applicants must have foreign transcripts evaluated by a foreign transcript evaluation service. In addition, international applicants must also complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of coursework in the United States at any regionally-accredited college or university. Of the 30 required semester hours, 15 semester hours must be allocated to non-remedial science courses.
DKICP utilizes the overall and science GPAs calculated by PharmCAS. There are no minimum GPA requirements for admission. However, the average overall cumulative GPA for accepted students is 3.1. See PharmCAS GPA calculation policies.
Prerequisite course equivalents for top feeder schools may be viewed on the UH Hilo Pre-Pharmacy website.
|Required Prerequisite Courses||Semester Hours||Quarter Hours|
|General Biology I & II for Science Majors with Labs||8||12|
|Microbiology with Lab||4||4|
|General Chemistry I & II for Science Majors with Labs||8||12|
|Organic Chemistry I & II for Science Majors with Labs||8||12|
|Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II with Labs||8||12|
|Calculus 1 or Advanced Calculus||3||4|
|English (including 3 credits composition)||6||8|
|A course that includes a World/Cultural Diversity component||3||4|
|Communications (with a public speaking component)||3||4|
|Total Credit Hours||66||92|
- PharmCAS Application: Students must apply and submit a complete application through PharmCAS. A complete application includes a personal statement, two professional letters of recommendation [electronic letters of reference (eLORs) are acceptable], applicable fee(s), and official transcripts from all regionally-accredited colleges and/or universities attended. DO NOT send letters of recommendation directly to UH Hilo. Letters of Recommendation sent directly to UH Hilo will not be reviewed or considered. PharmCAS applications are accepted from mid-July 2017 - March 1, 2018. The PharmCAS verification process may take up to four weeks after an application, transcripts, and payment is received. To view the real-time status of your PharmCAS application, login to your PharmCAS account.
- Early Decision Deadline (September 5, 2017): DKICP will participate in the PharmCas Early Decision Program which is a binding option for applicants who have decided that a particular pharmacy degree program is their first choice and that they will enroll if accepted. As an Early Decision applicant, you can apply to only one pharmacy degree program. Eligible applicants will be invited for an interview during the month of October. You may be offered early admission, denied admission, or deferred to regular applicant status. If you are offered admission as an Early Decision applicant, you are obligated to accept the offer and you will not be permitted to apply to other PharmCAS institutions. If, however, you are denied admission as an Early Decision applicant or deferred to regular applicant status, you may apply to other PharmCAS institutions for an additional fee. Early decision applicants will receive an admission decision by October 20, 2017
- Supplemental Application: Thesupplemental application is integrated into the "Program Materials" section of PharmCAS. This section should be completed at the same time or shortly after your PharmCAS application is submitted. A non-refundable $50 supplemental application fee is also required.
Once all of the required application components noted above are received, the complete file will be reviewed by the DKICP Admissions Committee. DKICP operates on a competitive, rolling admissions process thus early submission is strongly recommended. Applicants are responsible for tracking the progress of their application and verifying that all necessary documents have been received by the UH Hilo DKICP Office of Student Services. The application review process begins in August 2017 and continues until all seats are filled. Selected students will be invited for an on-site interview or via video-conferencing (e.g. Skype or Zoom software). DKICP conducts closed file interviews. In closed file interviews, the interviewer is not provided with any information about the candidate except for their name. This approach was selected by the Admissions Committee as it helps remove preconceived biases based on students' experiences, grades, personal statements, etc. Interviews are conducted from October through May with additional interviews as needed. Applications and interview scores are reviewed by the Admissions Committee for final admission decisions. Accepted students will be notified by email.
Please see Questions and Answers About the University of Hawaiʻi's Residency Requirements for Tuition Purposes. Please review this information carefully and note that moving to Hawaiʻi solely for educational purposes is not, by itself, sufficient to establish residency.